Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ROADTRIP!

I'm down in El Paso after one of the most interesting roadtrips of my life! Left Indiana yesterday morning at like 10 with my madre and padre and nothing really exciting happened until issue numero uno. So the plan was to pick up David in St Louis and drive out to Kevin's house to switch vehicles and head off from there. So I don't even know David at all at this point and we go to the location he told me he was staying at yet there were just a bunch of semi-trailers around... thus after a good laugh and a call to David we learn he's 15 minutes across town.. ooops!

Then things ran smoothly again. I got introduced to David and we hopped in the car and kept treking... until we got to Kevin's neighborhood that is and drove around like creepers cause we couldn't find the house for the life of us. There we grilled out some delicious hamburgers and headed out on the long long road to El Paso... 

Well we learned that David and I aren't the best combination to take charge of the car. Every time that something wrong happened it was when Kevin was in the back sleeping and we were in the front. 1) David drove for a good 5 miles on the interstate with the parking break on 2) we got off on a turnpike around Tulsa that we weren't supposed to take and we seriously thought we were on the right road until Kevin woke up and and us how we managed to get off the interstate... we really have no clue how that happened 3) because we got on that turnpike the tolls took coins instead of cash and we were really scraping to find it 4) the last toll booth we had the change and threw it in but the light didn't turn green so David just drove right through and it started yelling at us (we hope a ticket doesn't come out of a messed up 75 cent toll) 5) when I took my shift at 4 in the morning I may have seriously thought that the car was in drive when it was in park and got really confused when it wasn't moving 

We can't leave Kevin spotless though cause he forgot to twist the cap back on the gas tank and we may have just so happened to drive 300 or so miles like that... oh I apparently while I was napping he got off track too. But seriously these are all just things that come along with a REALLY long road trip and we know that God was wanting us to get there safely because we could have had some major issues but we only had minor problems that we are able to joke about now.

Well we did get here to El Paso safely but there was definitely a surprise waiting for me here. I am living in the same house as a pig! Not just some tiny pot bellied pig... nope a full sized pig and he runs around the house just like the dogs do.
But I'm not gonna complain because it's nice to have a place to call home while we are in El Paso.  Aimee and I are staying with David (the executive director of Casas) and his family and they are so wonderful to have opened up their home to us. I have my own room here and a place to leave my nice clothes that I won't be needing in Mexico.

~RANDOM FACT~ In El Paso it is totally normal to go to a wedding even when you are not invited... on our first night here we almost went to a wedding that a friend of a friend was invited to and through the chain we got asked to go... I don't know how in the world they are able to plan for weddings then!

And a suggestion, if you are in El Paso you should check out The Lunch Box. We went there after church on Sunday and it is a Mexican restaurant and I think the best part was a cute little old guy standing by the door playing Spanish music on the keyboard... IT WAS AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment